Agron-LED have partnered with Valoya to supply industry-leading lighting for horticultural applications.
Valoya’s wide spectra offer the best possible light for plants in an energy efficient way, their patented spectra are designed to optimize growth of a variety of plants in different applications. In addition to photosynthesis, the specialised spectra give valuable information to plants about their environment, allowing control of plant morphology and physiological traits.
The terms ‘wide’, ‘full’ or ‘continuous’ spectrum refers to combining LED chips to produce all possible colours from the spectrum – just like the sun. The amount of each colour in our spectra is fine-tuned to the specific needs of different plants and their growth phases. Unlike most manufacturers, they do not simply use red, blue and white LED chips – creating a light spectrum out of only these passes the minimal threshold of what the plant needs and hardly qualifies the spectrum to be called ‘wide’. Red and white LED chips have originally been developed for applications different than horticulture, such as interior lighting, LED indicators in electronic equipment etc. These chips can be bought ‘off the shelf’ and the light produced by them satisfies basic needs of the plants but does not represent a sunlight match.
Valoya’s LED chips are custom made and developed specifically for horticultural purposes. Their roots are in science and main expertise is photobiology (one-fifth of Valoya’s full-time staff are biologists). Besides creating a truly wide spectrum in each of our spectra, they paid special attention to the ratios of particular colours in them. The ratios of spectrum colours, in particular red : far red (R:FR) and blue : green (B:G) are what determines successful plant growth. There is no one single spectrum to satisfy the needs of all plants at all growth stages which is why we have commercialised 5 spectra and why our biologists advise on the use of optimal one, on a case to case basis
Below is the list of Valoya’s 5 spectra. Before commercialisation they have undergone rigorous research in collaboration with world’s leading universities and research institutes in order to create light that matches sunlight closely, speeds up growth cycles and results in strong, healthy and nutrient-dense plants.
- AP67: Strong vegetative and generative growth.
- AP673L: Strong vegetative growth.
- G2: Enhancing vernalization process.
- NS1/NS12: Wide sun-like spectrum for research and biotech.
- Architectural: Warm white spectrum for architectural applications.
The Right Spectrum
Optimal light spectrum provides increased yields as well as energy savings. Valoya’s spectra enable superior growth at lower light intensities than traditional light or red/blue LEDs. Valoya can also improve your spectrum from traditional lamps in a so-called hybrid installation i.e. a combination of HPS lamps and LEDs with the target to create a better spectrum. This can have a significant impact on quality, especially during darker periods.
LED lamps may contribute to significant energy savings when the installation is planned properly, a spectrum is selected for a specific purpose and usage is optimized for the production process. Valoya’s AP673L and G1 spectrum are optimized for pure LED installations and hybrid installations respectively. These spectra are superior to traditional HPS or narrow band LEDs in terms of plant texture, taste and colour.
Total Cost of Ownership
Valoya’s products are designed to have a long use life, typically rated at 90% of initial output at 35,000 hours. This is 40% more than other products on the market. In practice, this translates to a typical lifespan of more than 10 years with minimal impact on growth results. The long use life is a result of excellent thermal properties of the LED fixture and the high-quality power units used by Valoya.
- 100–200W, available with all Valoya spectra.
- B-series fixtures are suitable for installations where high light intensity and optimal uniformity is required
- Can be installed in fluorescent tube fixtures without modification (fixtures with magnetic ballast).
- L-series provide best possible uniformity as the full spectrum is integrated into a single chip making it ideal for tissue culture and propagation applications.
- High intensity (up to 2,1 µmol/W) bar-shaped luminaires
- IP67 and IK08 rating
- Ideal for growth chambers
- C-series is ideal for growth rooms and other demanding light conditions where higher light intensity is needed.
- Fixtures are slim and lightweight which makes them easy to install to applications with limited space.
- IP66 Rating
- Easy to install option for one-to-one replacement of HID lights.
- A highly durable fixture due to all aluminium build
- IP55, Passive cooling
To find out more about our specialist horticultural lighting please register your interest.